Alexandria Egypt History, Population, Map, & Facts
Alexandria, located on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt, is a city steeped in history and brimming with cultural treasures. With its captivating history, strategic location on the map, delightful weather, an array of attractions, and a plethora of things to do, Alexandria offers a unique and enchanting experience for visitors. Let's delve into the fascinating history of Alexandria, locate it on the map, explore its pleasant weather, discover its captivating attractions, and uncover the myriad of activities that await you in this coastal gem.
The Ancient Legacy of Alexandria
Alexandria boasts a rich and storied past that dates back over two millennia. Founded by Alexander the Great in 331 BCE, the city quickly became a center of intellectual and cultural exchange. It flourished as a cosmopolitan hub of knowledge, housing the famous Library of Alexandria, one of the largest repositories of ancient texts in the world. Alexandria's history is intertwined with the reign of Cleopatra, the last active ruler of the Ptolemaic Kingdom, whose charisma and influence left an indelible mark on the city.
Locating Alexandria on the Map
Alexandria is strategically positioned on the northern coast of Egypt, extending along the shores of the Mediterranean Sea. When you trace it on the map, you'll find it approximately 230 kilometers (143 miles) northwest of Cairo, Egypt's capital. Its coastal location makes it easily accessible from various parts of the country, and it serves as a gateway to explore the wonders of the Mediterranean region.
Embracing Alexandria's Pleasant Weather
Alexandria enjoys a Mediterranean climate characterized by mild winters and warm summers, offering pleasant weather throughout the year. Summers are typically warm, with temperatures ranging from 25 to 30 degrees Celsius (77 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit), while winters are mild, ranging from 10 to 18 degrees Celsius (50 to 64 degrees Fahrenheit). The city experiences refreshing sea breezes, making it an ideal destination for strolling along the corniche or lounging at outdoor cafes.
Unveiling Alexandria's Captivating Attractions
Alexandria is a treasure trove of historical landmarks, architectural marvels, and cultural gems. Here are some must-visit attractions in Alexandria:
- Qaitbay Citadel: This medieval fortress stands proudly on the site of the ancient Lighthouse of Alexandria, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Explore the citadel's impressive architecture, enjoy panoramic views of the city, and learn about its historical significance.
- Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa: Descend into the depths of history as you visit these fascinating underground tombs. Marvel at the intricate blend of Egyptian, Greek, and Roman architectural styles and discover the intricate art and sculptures that adorn the catacombs.
- Pompey's Pillar: Standing tall in the heart of Alexandria, this ancient Roman column is a testament to the city's rich history. Admire its grandeur, learn about its origins, and imagine the bustling streets that once surrounded it.
- Alexandria National Museum:Immerse yourself in the city's past as you explore this museum's extensive collection of artifacts and artworks. From ancient Egyptian relics to Greco-Roman treasures, the museum offers a comprehensive glimpse into Alexandria's cultural heritage.
- Montaza Palace: Visit this stunning palace complex nestled along the Mediterranean coastline. Explore the beautiful gardens, admire the architecture, and enjoy panoramic views of the sea. The palace's tranquil ambiance makes it a perfect escape from the bustling city.
- Stanley Bridge: Take a leisurely stroll or drive along the iconic Stanley Bridge, which connects Alexandria's eastern and western districts. Enjoy breathtaking views of the sea, watch fishing boats sail by, and soak in the vibrant atmosphere of the city.
- Alexandria Corniche: Explore the vibrant waterfront promenade known as the Corniche. Enjoy a leisurely walk along the shore, savor delicious seafood at waterfront restaurants, and revel in the picturesque views of the Mediterranean Sea.
Unforgettable Experiences in Alexandria
Apart from its historical and architectural marvels, Alexandria offers a range of activities to immerse yourself in the city's unique charm:
- Visit the Bibliotheca Alexandrina: Pay homage to Alexandria's ancient library by visiting the modern Bibliotheca Alexandrina. Explore its vast collection of books, attend cultural events, and admire the architectural brilliance of this iconic institution.
- Relax on Alexandria's Beaches: With its pristine coastline, Alexandria is home to several beautiful beaches. Spend a day lounging on the sandy shores, swimming in the refreshing waters, or enjoying water sports such as snorkeling or diving.
- Indulge in Culinary Delights: Alexandria is renowned for its delectable cuisine. Sample local specialties like seafood dishes, Egyptian street food, and traditional sweets. Don't miss the opportunity to try koshari, a popular Egyptian comfort food.
- Explore the Souks: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of Alexandria's bustling markets. Wander through the winding alleys of Souk El-Atareen or Souk El-Horreya, where you can find a wide array of spices, textiles, jewelry, and local handicrafts.
Alexandria, with its captivating history, strategic location, delightful weather, fascinating attractions, and diverse range of activities, offers a unique and enriching experience for travelers. Whether you're a history enthusiast, a culture lover, or a beach enthusiast, Alexandria has something to offer. Explore its ancient landmarks, immerse yourself in its rich heritage, savor its culinary delights, and create unforgettable memories in this enchanting city on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt.
Egypt Tours Including Alexandria
Egypt Honeymoon Tours
|13 Days||$ 3195|
Egypt Honeymoon Packages
|10 Days||$ 2190|
Cairo and Nile Cruise For Disabled Travellers
|10 Days||$ 1395|
Egypt Overland Tours
|8 Days||$ 875|
Cairo Wheelchair Accessible Tours
|5 Days||$ 595|
Cairo Holiday Packages
|5 Days||$ 399|
Cairo Private Tours
|4 Days||$ 369|
Cairo Egypt Pyramid Tours
|4 Days||$ 350|
Cairo City Breaks
|3 Days||$ 215|
Cairo Layover Tours
|2 Days||$ 155|